Friday, December 31, 2010
Tuesday, December 28, 2010
|Dane snuggling Daddy|
|Dane & Mommy passing time. |
Thank you Aunt Brenda for letting us use your bracelet, it was a great toy!
|What?? These chairs are fun!|
|Our family & social worker in front of the judge. Dane is on my lap.|
|Family pic. with the judge|
|David and the judge...givin high fives!|
|Our official family!|
Thursday, December 23, 2010
Thursday, December 2, 2010
It was about 5:30 Thanksgiving morning, I was unfortunately awake, I was exhausted, had so much to do and my head was POUNDING! Alivia was finally asleep, she had been up all night with an ear ache. Joel was getting ready for work, yes work on Thanksgiving. I still had to pack for our trip to the Great Wolf Lodge and get things ready for Thanksgiving at my mom's. And now Alivia and I needed to make a trip to the ER for her ear. Needless to say I was feeling less than thankful. So I called my mom at about ten minutes to 8 figuring she should be up. My step-dad answered and I shared with him about my morning and that I would probably be a bit late to Thanksgiving lunch...he immediately said, "How can I help? Can I make a dish for you? I am sure your mom will come pick up the kids so you can take Livi to ER." And that's when it hit me - I have so much to be thankful for! I have a husband who works all hours of the day and night to provide for our family, I have a mom and step-dad that will do just about anything for me (within reason of course), not to mention other members of the family too. I was able to get medical attention and medication for Livi thanks to doctors, nurses and other medical staff that gives up their time on Thanksgiving to serve the community and little girls that need to feel better for Great Wolf Lodge. My day did NOT go as planned and I did NOT get everything done that I needed to but over all it was good day! And of course it was Danes 1st Thanksgiving with our family - his forever family and that alone was special! He did really well being away from home for so long too! He even took a short nap - in my arms of course, but he napped! Joel did make it to Thanksgiving too, about 3 hours late, but he made it none the less!
A little Thanksgiving fun!
Friday, November 19, 2010
Wednesday, November 17, 2010
Love you David! You are the coolest 6 year old ever!
Tuesday, November 2, 2010
Getting ready to carve pumpkins
I remember a couple months ago, Joel and I and were riding in the car. I do not remember where we were going or what we were exactly talking about, but Joel look at me and said, "he doesn't look Asian to me anymore" -referring to Dane. I laughed. I think at that moment we had felt like we had kind of turned a corner. We no longer saw Dane as just being Asian but also as our son (Please don't take that statement wrong - it is really hard to explain). We love all of our kids equally and we will NEVER deny the fact that Dane came from Korea or his right to learn about his birth place, etc. But at that moment he was just our son and that was it. Having kids is hard. Being a mom is hard. Adoption is hard- there are so many emotions. And for me, when Dane was finally home my emotions were rushing all over the place. And if I am honest there where moments that I was not so sure we had made the right choice. It was hard to see Dane as 100% my son when all I felt was emotionally exhausted. In the car we had finally came to a point where the emotions were not quite so raw and we were able to enjoy our family as it was without emotions clouding everything. And for us it was a great thing!
For our family adoption has been an amazing, life changing experience. And we did make the right choice! Several people have told us how lucky Dane is (which bothers me but that's another post). I could not disagree more! We are the lucky ones!! We are the ones who have been blessed by him being home and a part of our family!! Dane is an amazing little guy, as are all of our kids. Although there have been some really rough days since Dane has been home and even though we have struggled (sometimes) with adjusting, I would do it all 100 times over. I know Joel still has a hard time looking back at our pictures of Korea, re-living those moments is still emotionally hard for him, he would say the same - it was the right choice for us and our family. God has blessed us beyond words through our experience adopting Dane.
Wednesday, October 6, 2010
- Well, sorry that it has been so long, life has been really busy now that school is in full swing.
- School seems to be going well, both kids have amazing teachers!
- We have been very busy this fall and have been loving most of the busyness!
- We are STILL vehicle shopping- most of you know Joel, he has to find that good deal!!
- Joel is still working 50-60 hour weeks, it makes for one tired daddy, but he is still managing to get time in with the kids, nothing else though. I'm so thankful that he chooses the kids over other things.
- Joel got Dane's "D" tattooed on his back last week, now he has all the kid's initials.
- Sadly, Joel's grandpa past away a couple weeks ago. He died of a broken heart. He was Joel's hero and the best grandpa ever- he is truly missed.
- We had an AMAZING summer!
- We received an email from Danes foster mom 2 days ago. I became very emotional as I read the words that she wrote. It left me feeling forever grateful for this wonderful woman (and family) who cares so deeply for our son and our family. I am so happy to have her words on paper to share with Dane someday. I am so happy to have contact with her. She even wrote that she prays for us...I can not even begin to describe what that email meant to me.
- Joel and I have finally had a chance to process our trip to Korea, we miss Korea so much already-we are forever changed for the better.
- Dane is walking in public!!! He started walking about a month ago, but only at home, 2 weeks ago he started walking in public! He has also cut 8 teeth since we have been home.
- I will try to post new pictures soon, for some reason I am having trouble tonight.
- I think that's it. Good night!
- Oh, I love my family and my life. It is busy, messy, and really hard sometimes, but I love it and I am blessed!!
Wednesday, September 1, 2010
Tuesday, August 24, 2010
As most of you know Dane has not been to fond of Joel (DH) but that is really starting to change! I have seen Dane start to reach for him and even cry when Joel leaves the room! Sounds so funny, but that made me so happy when he cried for Joel! They both have really struggled with the transition but over the past week or so Dane has slowly been melting Joel's heart! How could you not love that little guy!
We have slowly started introducing him to some of our family and friends. It seems to be going OK.
We do have our set backs some days, but over all things are getting better and better everyday! This journey has been amazing! We have learned so much about ourselves and have gained so much! I would not trade any of this for anything! We are so blessed!
Doggy kisses! Mya is not that bad after all!