Saturday, December 31, 2011

Faith

faith

noun
1.
confidence or trust in a person or thing: faith in another's ability.
2.
belief that is not based on proof.

This word faith has meant a lot to me the past several months. God has been bringing this "word" to me over and over again. To me it is more than just a word, it is like a promise.
Hebrews 11:1 is one of my favorite verses, especially during this season of my life - our adoption of Aliyah
 
Heb 11:1 (KJV) Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.
Heb 11:1 (NIV) Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.
Heb 11:1 (NEB) Faith... makes us certain of realities we do not see.
This is what Faith means to me: Faith is believing in what is true: 1) being convinced of the truth, being certain of reality, having evidence of unseen things, and 2) believing, hoping in, embracing, seizing the truth.

When we first set our on our 2nd adoption journey, I remember announcing it to our family...there was dead silence in the room for what seemed like hours, until one of our family member finally shouted, "Hurray!"
And then the questions came. I honestly had not prepared to answer all those questions. And  if I am completely honest I did not even have all of the answers to the questions I had about this (2nd) adoption journey.
"Where are you going to put all these kids, your house is kind of small?"
"How are you going to pay for this?"
"Can you feed, clothe, pay for college educations and provide for all these kids?"
"What if you get a child that doesn't fit in your family?"
"What if something happens to Joel's job or to you?"....
The questions kept coming and I could only respond with "God will provide."
I had faith. I still have faith. We feel so strongly that this is what God wants us to do that we just had to step out in faith and trust that God will meet every single need that we have. And I can honestly say that he has. Now, has every need been met in my time frame? Absolutely not! But I do know that my God NEVER makes mistake and he is ALWAYS on time.

We have never seen Aliyah in person, but yet we believe she is real. We believe that she is our daughter, we believe she will be home with us at sometime. We put our faith in our Government, the Chinese Government,United States Postal Services & UPS, orphanage workers, our adoption agency, our International Adoption Pediatrician...our list goes on and on. I have to have faith in all of "this" to finally be able to bring Aliyah home. But mostly I need faith in God and His perfect plan. As time goes on this word faith becomes more and more important to me. 

A couple weeks back we got to talking about what to name our new daughter. We were confident Aliyah was her first name and her Chinese name was going to be a part of her middle name. The question came up about her other middle name - her family name. We knew Joel's grandpa's middle name Caleb meant faithful. And he was a very faithful man. He was faithful in every aspect of his life, his family, church, job... Joel's grandpa was a very special man . He was Joel's hero. We miss him every day.


Joel's Grandpa (and his wife, Joel's grandma)
They were the perfect couple

And once again God brought the word  faith to my mind. And I knew her middle name was to be faith. It was not my first choice for a name, but it really grew on me. The meaning behind it is so incredibly special to me and to our family. She will be named after an amazing man and she, to me, is another definition of faith; she is what we hope for, she is the conviction of things not yet seen. And we need an awful lot of faith while we wait to bring her home.

Aliyah Faith

No comments:

"Fear not for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you... For I am the Lord your God..
~Isiah 43:1-3